Kenya have turned down the chance to host the 2018 Africa Women Cup of Nations, the President of FKF Nick Mwendwa has revealed.
The East African country wrote to the Confederation of African Football (CAF) on Saturday to withdraw their interest in taking over from Ghana as hosts.
CAF has confirmed receiving Kenya’s letter announcing its inability to host the tournament and will be looking elsewhere for the new hosts.
Ghana have been stripped of the right for hosting the competition and Kenya were tipped to take over following a public expression of interest from Mwendwa.
However, the FKF President Nick Mwendwa says they will not be ready to take over from Ghana as they have just one stadium in a good condition to take over.
“Kenya have withdrawn interest in hosting 2018 AWCON,” Mwendwa told KweséESPN on Sunday.
“We had expressed our interest in hosting the competition after learning that Ghana will not be able to host.
“Unfortunately, we seem to have only the Kasarani Stadium ready to host the competition, and yet two stadiums are required.
“We informed CAF on Saturday of the development and they also replied.”
The Nyayo Stadium, which is currently undergoing renovation, had been tipped as a potential host stadium, but the work will not be finished in time.
Despite Kenya’s withdrawal, CAF President Ahmad Ahmad remains confident that a new host will be announced in September.
Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea, Algeria, South Africa, Zambia, Mali and Nigeria have already qualified for the tournament, and will be joined by the hosts.